Media Release from Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) on September 13, 2017
Beginning Saturday, September 30, 2017, Fairfax Connector will be implementing service changes on several routes to improve the customer experience through increased on-time performance, improved service reliability, and reduced crowding. To serve the greatest number of riders as effectively as possible, improvements target high-ridership corridors and partially address the elimination of Metrobus Route 2T.
- Reroute Route 171 between Pohick and Telegraph Roads to take advantage of new traffic signal at Whernside Street and Telegraph Road;
- Adjust arrival times on Fairfax Connector Routes 231 and 232 to improve transfer opportunities with Routes 321,322 and 373;
- Increase span of service and frequency on Routes 321 and 322;
- Eliminate Bland Street diversion on Routes 321 and 322;
- Extend Routes 321 and 322 on Industrial Road to serve the Amazon facility;
- Restructure Route 333 service as Routes 340 and 341, maintaining service to Patriot Ridge and extending service to Boston Boulevard;
- Implement minor schedule revisions to Route 334 to interline with new Routes 340 and 341;
- Add a Route 335 morning trip departing at 6:00 AM from Franconia—Springfield Metrorail Station;
- Address travel demands for Route 395 by eliminating some morning trips from Backlick North Park & Ride, as well as some afternoon trips to Gambrill Road Park & Ride;
- Reroute Route 462 onto Prosperity Avenue and Hilltop Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T;
- Reroute Route 463 on Gosnell Road and Leesburg Pike to address elimination of Metrobus 2T; and
- Revise Route 551 schedule to address afternoon crowding issues related to ridership to/from South Lakes High School.
Changes by Route
Route 171 – Richmond Highway
- Reroute onto Whernside Street between Pohick and Telegraph Roads to take advantage of new traffic signal at Whernside and Telegraph.
- Eliminate Bland Street route diversion.
- Expand the span of service to operate late evenings and improve headways.
- Feature 20 to 30 minute headways Monday through Friday, 30 to 60 minute headways Saturday, and 60 minute headways Sunday.
- Weekend service improvements: all trips after 8:00 PM on weekdays and 6:00 PM on weekends, including the proposed new late evening trips, would bypass the Industrial Road and Commercial Drive area, where there is no demand for service at these times.
- Extend service along Industrial Road to provide access to the new Amazon facility.
Route 333 – Patriot Ridge – Saratoga
- Route 333 will be replaced by two new routes Route 340 (Patriot Ridge – Saratoga) and Route 341 (Boston Boulevard – Saratoga) that will service the current route pattern.
- Restructure route to reduce pattern complexity for riders. Time interval between buses will be approximately 25 to 30 minutes on weekdays and approximately 30 minutes on Saturdays.
- Maintain AM and PM rush hour VRE connections at Franconia-Springfield; serve Patriot Ridge and Boston Boulevard.
Route 334 – Newington Circulator
- Minor schedule adjustments to align service with new Routes 340 and 341.
Route 335 – Fort Belvoir “The Eagle”
- Add a morning trip departing at 6:00 a.m. from Franconia-Springfield Metrorail Station, in response to rider input.
Route 395 – Springfield – Pentagon
- To better handle current travel demand, some morning trips will not serve Backlick North Park & Ride and one afternoon trip will terminate at Gambrill Park & Ride and not serve Backlick North Road Park & Ride.
Route 462 – Dunn Loring – Navy Federal – Tysons
- Reroute onto Prosperity Avenue and Hilltop Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T. Maintains service to Vienna Park Apartments.
Route 463 – Maple Avenue – Vienna
- Reroute onto Gosnell Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T, providing access to Tysons Tower Apartments.
Route 551 – South Lakes Drive
- Shorten headways on some afternoon trips to 30 minutes to address crowding associated with South Lakes High School ridership.
For More Information on Fairfax Connector Service
- Visit www.fairfaxconnector.com
- Call 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608 (Monday – Friday, 5:00 AM to 10:00 PM; Saturday – Sunday, 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM)
- Visit a Connector Store
- Follow us on Twitter & Facebook