Posted On 31 Jul 2017
Summary of Comments to be Presented at the EPA Ethanol Hearing
Hyatt Hotel, Washington, DC
August 1, 2017
Summary of Three-Minute Oral Comments
- Ethanol use in gasoline makes no scientific or economic sense.
- The only real justification is to drive up corn and soybean prices as a subsidy for farmers and provide votes for congressmen in farm states.
- U.S. consumers pay higher prices for food.
- Poor foreigners are further in poverty. High food prices lead to political instability and war.
- U.S. citizens are endangered by war from countries that blame the U.S. for high food prices.
- Ethanol is only 75% energy efficient as gasoline. This requires more fuel consumption to make the same journey, and thus more pollution.
- Ethanol is corrosive to engines, resulting in more frequent breakdowns and costs to consumers.
- Ethanol requires major subsidies by the U.S. taxpayers.
The premises behind ethanol encouragement are wrong:
- Ethanol does not improve energy self-sufficiency. More energy is required to produce ethanol than gasoline.
- The U.S. is capable of energy self-sufficiency.
- Fears of global warming are overblown. Every forecast has been wrong. In the 1970s the forecasts were for global cooling and a new glacial age.
- Over 31,000 scientists like me signed the Petition Project, affirming propaganda about man-made global warming is a hoax.
- Even if more warming occurs, the world benefits: More warming in Canada and Siberia will produce much larger crops.
- Carbon dioxide stimulates plants.
- Carbon dioxide production follows warming, not the other way around. Statements to the contrary are phony.
- During the time of dinosaurs, about 60 million years ago, carbon dioxide levels were ten times current levels. Plants and animals thrived.
- About two billion to 800 million years ago carbon dioxide levels were extremely high; however, cyanobacteria gradually converted the CO2 into oxygen through photosynthesis like plants do. This made the air oxygen rich to sustain life.
- The sun’s fluctuations and the wobbles of the earth are the primary reasons for warming and cooling.
- In the last three million years the earth has had nearly 30 glacial advances and warming. Long Island was created by mile-thick glaciers bulldozing the rocks and dirt.
- Around the year 1100 there was a warming period with prosperity; afterward there was cooling with devastating effects on agriculture and people through starvation and disease. The earth is just recovering from the cooling period.
- Requirements about the need for ethanol are based on phony premises about energy self-sufficiency and global warming.
- Ethanol use is detrimental to everyone except some farmers, politicians, and bureaucrats in the EPA.