Letter to the Editor
Your gender identity article was right on the mark! (Fairfax Free Citizen [print edition], October 2016, page 6). Key points:
- Half of FCPS’s students come from religious background, many with modesty requirements
- Virginia social services code includes body privacy provisions for people of the opposite sex in dressing areas and bathrooms
- Current school bathroom and locker room facilities don’t provide adequate privacy for students whose religions/cultural beliefs and customs oppose shared use
The Fairfax County Public Schools superintendent (or acting) needs to do her/his own homework by surveying the current status of school bathrooms and locker rooms:
- How many (and percentage) of bathrooms and showers have individual stalls?
- What cost to retrofit bathrooms and showers to provide individual stalls?
Did Virginia’s largest school system conduct any site assessments to tally the existing conditions, then do cost estimates to provide the factual data for informed decisionmaking?
Are the FCPS board, leadership, and administration capable?