Ron Edwards, producer and host of the syndicated radio show – The Edwards Notebook – out of Detroit, Michigan, presented a no-nonsense, upbeat, and entertaining assessment of America’s current condition and its future prospects to the Northern Virginia Tea Party meeting on Monday evening, July 14.
Mr. Edwards did not mince his words: the United States is in trouble. Our national debt is a travesty. Our economy is heading directly over a cliff. The number of Navy ships in our inventory is the smallest since World War I.
And our people are divided, politically, socially, and culturally. In fact, the Obama Administration is intentionally trying to divide Americans along racial lines. Long ago, the Government told people in Detroit it was there to help them. Now everyone can see how well socialism has worked in Detroit.
The Federal Government is doing what the Bill of Rights specified that it should not do. Gradually, it is whittling down people’s rights, even property rights that have been the cornerstone of republics throughout Western civilization. Like the frog in the gradually boiling pot of water, too many Americans have not recognized the gradual erosion of their rights and the dangers posed by that erosion.
Profit-conscious businesses have noted the changes. Forty-eight major companies have moved out of the country to more tax friendly nations. America is no longer listed in the top 20 countries for opportunity. It is harder for a white man to open a business in America today than it was for a black man to do so in 1954.
But fear not, says Mr. Edwards. It’s always darkest before the dawn. Many people are beginning to wake up to the problems besetting the country and starting to seek solutions. Mr. Edwards suggests some tenets that should guide such solutions:
- Return to practicing the Christian principles of virtue upon which this nation was founded. Remember what Sam Adams wrote to Joel Warren in 1779: “A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.”
- Turn to the Constitution for governing guidance. Seek and expect liberty, which is freedom with responsibility.
- Remind the likes of Senator Harry Reid and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi that the people are sovereign in the United States. The people are the straw that stirs the drink. Government officials should “fear” the people, not vice-versa. Do not succumb to the fear of not being liked by people who won’t like you under any circumstances anyway.
- Rebuild the country by reinvigorating the economy, not by relying on Government fiat dollars that will eventually bankrupt the economy and the American spirit.
- Tell people who accuse you of being a rascist for expressing conservative values to screw themselves. Use the term “American,” not “African-American” or some other from of hyphenated American.
- Say a prayer for the nation at night. And pray for those who have been misled by wrong-headed education and programs focused on equality of results rather than equality of opportunity.
- The promise of America is not over. The states of Oklahoma, Florida, and Texas as well as the city of Cleveland show signs of an awakening. True patriots must set aside differences and view each other as friends in the struggle to right the ship of state. Don’t give up on liberty!
Mr. Edwards presented an inspiring talk. For more from an informed, entertaining, tell-it-like-it-is commentator, tune in to The Edwards Notebook at the top of the hour throughout the day on Constitutional Patriot Radio Network.